Feeling very lucky in being one of the first few to have received a complimentary set of the Zippy Master set. Receiving this kit allowed me to try it out and think about the wonderful possibilities of having a kit with all the pieces that I need to create tubular items, in a couple of different sizes. The only thing that I am missing to make this kit complete is a bag to put all the little pieces in so I don't lose them (hint, hint KB!).
If you haven't seen the set yet, have a look, here is a video that KBLooms.com put together for all their customers. It is truly a great kit! With the kit, you have the option of creating two different sizes of circular items, one with 20 pegs (all 4 sides, and the corners with the pegs), and one with 16 pegs (all 4 sides and the corner connectors). What does this mean? It means that you can create hats for adults and children with this kit! You can also use the peg rails and the straight connects and double knit! How exciting is this! It is something that I truly want to try–a nice super bulky cowl is in my future! Utah winters can be rough!
Were you one of the lucky ones who bought the Zippy when it was first released? No worries, you can connect your other Zippys to this kit and make a bigger loom!!!
In my excitement, combined with the current Olympics, I had the perfect excuse to sit down and knit this cozy blanket. I hope you enjoy the pattern. If you have any questions about it, please leave me a comment and I will be happy to assist you. The pattern in itself is very simple, if you know to create the knit stitch, you can create this afghan. The beauty of this pattern–I had this blanket done in less than 15 hours from start to finish! I have to admit that the hardest part was adding the fringe to the blanket. It is quite distracting to add fringe when your favorite swimmer(s) are performing and you have to make small little knots. I hope you enjoy the pattern and give the kit a chance!
You don't have a kit and are low on funds due to the back-to-school spending extravaganza? Leave me a comment on this blogpost with "what you would like to make with this kit". I will pick 1 (one) winner on August 26, at noon (MST) and I will send you a kit and two skeins of yarn for you to try it.
Can't wait and you want your very own? Hop on over to KBLooms.com and get your Zippy Master Set today!
Purling Sprite's Zippy Lapghan
Wrap yourself in a cloud of softness during those cold fall evenings with this luxurious lapghan.
Knitting loom: Zippy Master Set (used 4 sides, and 4 corners with pegs)
Yarn: 605 yds of Super Bulky (#7) yarn. Lion Brand Color Clouds – Alchemists Aqua was used in sample (11 skeins).
Notions: Knitting tool, tapestry needle, scissors, size Q crochet hook.
Gauge: 5 stitches x 8 rows=4 inches in stockinette
Size: 48" L (not counting the fringe) x 36" W
Approx time to knit and assembly: 15 hrs
Assemble Zippy Master into a 20-peg configuration (4 sides, and 4 corners with pegs, as shown below).
Make 3 panels as follows:
Cast on 20 stitches, prepare to work a flat panel.
Row 1-93: knit to the end of row.
Bind off with basic bind off method.
Each panel requires approximately 3 skeins.
Using the mattress stitch, invisibly seam all three panels together.
Using crochet hook, crochet a single crochet border all around the blanket.
Cut approximately 120 pieces of yarn that are 10” in length to create the tassels.
Add fringe to the cast on edge and the bind off edge of the blanket.
- Fold the strand of yarn for one fringe in half, forming a small loop at one edge (make sure the ends on the other end of the strand match in length).
- Use crochet hook and draw the loop through the single crochet stitch where you are attaching the fringe to.
- Now catch the loose ends of the yarn strand through the loop (thus creating the loop)
- Tighten the knot by pulling gently on the fringe ends with your hand and holding the knot with the other hand.
- Trim the ends if necessary to make all the tassels/fringes the same length.
Find more Zippy Master reviews/reveals at these links:
- Jenny Stark does an amazing reveal for the Zippy Master and provides you with a lovely Brioche scarf pattern.
- Bethany Dailey provides you her reveal of the Zippy Master via videos and shows you even how to assemble them into different configurations and gives you a lovely pattern too!
- Renita Harvey gives you another great review and run down on what it is included in the kit along with a gorgeous pillow pattern!